Friday, November 21, 2008

The Sacred and the Profane

This was a real conversation heard on a Berkeley bus. I discreetly waited for the two very old women to exit the bus before quickly scribbling down the scene in my notebook.

The two old women did not know each other and began their conversation by discussing which stops they were getting off at. I have created names for them.

Eudora Greybeard: You know, it's getting so you can't go to the store and get a month's worth of toothpaste, shampoo, you know basic needs, you can't get them from the store because there isn't enough for food.

Maxine Spiritus: I live day by day with the help of sweet, sweet Jesus.

Eudora: Oh, you have a boyfriend?

Maxine: Yes, but he's in the Netherlands.

Eudora: It must be hard to live with him then.

Maxine: Yes, I live day by day with the aid of sweet, sweet Jesus. He's there when I wake up in the morning, and I go to sleep at his feet every night.

Eudora: I'm an author, you know, and I had to give up having a boyfriend because I have to have complete solitude. You're very lucky.

Maxine: I guess you could say Jesus is my boyfriend.

Eudora: Oh, well, that's very poetic!

Maxine here begins discussing, in a very, very confused timeline, the events of her California adventures, and the current residences of her children. Meanwhile the bus has reached their shared destination and Maxine scream out

Maxine: DRIVER! TWO LADIES NEED OUT!!!

Eudora gives a start.

Maxine: I'm sorry I had to yell.

Eudora (exiting the bus): Goodbye, Driver, have a good Easter, ur, Thanksgiving, whatever Holiday it is.

Maxine: Everyday's a holy day.

No comments: